WORDS, a quadrille for d’Verse

WORDS

My thin black words

on this cold white page

can’t breathe, won’t bleed,

don’t whimper in the dark;

impotent fossils, barren husks,

dropped spoor.

Not the real thing at all,

not the rustle in the weeds

nor the shrill screech

of the wild boar.

This entry was posted in A mixed bag, Poetry and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to WORDS, a quadrille for d’Verse

1. grumpygorman says:

Nan… what an amazing poem! I have been wondering what you’ve been up to! So good to see your face pop up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good to hear from you, too. Every time I g to my Media page I’m enjoying a copy of your eyes collage–or did I already tell you? I rear-ended smeone and totalled my car so I have more time for my blog (It’s like being snowbound, bu it’s no-car bound). Glad you liked the poem or, as they say on d’Verse, quadrlle.

2. This is so true. But we keep trying to use words to share our experiences and we rejoice when there is the least bit of truth.

3. Frank Hubeny says:

Once the words are read they are revived in the reader but with strange transformations.

Oh yes, you’re right. Thank you.

5. But just like sticks pulled together might catch fire the same happens with words in a poem

6. Nice one, Nan.I love those images of things left behind, and then the power of the “real thing”. But I think you capture something real.

7. I see what you mean, Nan! Yes, we are spot on the same wavelength here, even if yours is a more tumultuous picture ๐Ÿ™‚

8. wildchild47 says:

Stunning …. the words just reach out and grab you, and you fall into the pleasure and pain of working through this …. but it reads like a manifesto, a call of the wild – how delightful ๐Ÿ™‚

9. rothpoetry says:

Only the mind can resurrect all those words and make them live! Nice!
    Dwight

10. bethanyk says:

I think you have topped all of your poems with this one. It is so so good!!!!

11. Beverly Crawford says:

Your words are evocative, Nan. BUT, for armchair travelers, sometimes the “black words on dry white page” transport us to places we’ll never see.

Yes, and for some of us in places we don’t want to see we only have to close the book. I have been extremely moved by things others write (or paint), but on my end there’s often frustration that I can’t manage to be heard. We can’t be in therapy all our lives, unfortunately.