Grey Haibun for d’Verse

Night regurgitates day in images that ride their REM waves, waves that slap the hard beach repetitively, incessantly, omnipresent in the fog of sleep and in the spaces between the incidental, accidental thoughts that drift by during timeouts in the day.  Like now.

Endless road ahead

Moonlight summons old spirits

The Earth a cocoon

This entry was posted in Haibun and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Grey Haibun for d’Verse

1. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the idea of the Earth being a cocoon and the night regurgitating.

2. rothpoetry says:

Interesting how the earth is a cocoon. Waiting for the butterflies to rise!
    Dwight

3. I thought this particularly insightful and points to a condition of life we all live but do not acknowledge often. Thanks for the courage to say what you did. I agree the metaphor of the butterfly is a bit flimsy, in fact, a cliche.

4. Yes, the earth a cocoon, a purgatory itself, where we don’t even know the brilliance of colors yet.

5. Sometimes the tones of grey have more depth than flashy distracting colours. I do like this musing on the wave-like repetitive pounding of thoughts, all silvery night time grey.

6. Beverly Crawford says:

I love the phrase “moonlight summons old spirits”. Also “accidental thoughts that drift by during timeouts”. You have a magical way with phrases, Nan. Bravo

FROM NAN” I’ve done something wrong and this is my “Reply”:
    Now I wish I’d said “old souls.” I really appreciate the “Bravo!”, Beverly!

7. I really liked the rhythm of this poem and the juxtaposition of moonlight, spirits and the cocoon is fabulous.

From Nan: I fear I have lost my “Reply” rectangle. Know that I appreciate your comment, Paul!

8. This is a stunning piece… and i feel a great appreciation for grey, the way you tie it to night and the importance of the dreams is great.

9. Moonlight summons old spirits… it sure does. Here’s to moonshine. I liked your take on the prompt, the night time/ sleepy time ruminations on the day. Cool.

10. Singledust says:

I love your haiku, it speaks of old magic exerting its power over a new journey of life.

11. I really like this, and I think you are right we almost relive the day in our sleep whatever joys or hardships we faced.

12. Mish says:

Oh you had my attention from the very start…”Night regurgitates day in images”. Powerful imagery. It makes me think about my mom who suffers from a sleep disorder. She describes it as a movie reel of the past that plays when all she wants to do is sleep.
    A beautiful haibun and stunning haiku, Nan. Always a pleasure to read your work. Sorry for my delayed response.
    ~Mish~

I’m so appreciative of your words! Thank you.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w