The Reluctant Atheist – for d’Verse

The old man used to be a preacher, but

in good faith had to turn in his cassock

because he no longer believed in anything.

He mumbles now, admitting that he cannot

say he  believes he’ll live again.

If asked he’ll say  we teach our young to

be fair, play fair, as though  the world were

fair. Maudlin now, he observes that

we can kiss away a boo boo or wipe away

a tear, but

the buffer does not outlast reality, , or is it

just the luck of the draw? Lotta bad luck,

then, for many. “Refugees, thy name is grief.”

But with a little smile  he reckons that

we avoid madness in the arms of sleep.

At 79, I was just about to stop keeping a journal, but that felt like accepting that growth was finished. I don't want to be finished, yet! I'm 80 now, and struggling to communicate with you, if you'll come and set awhile. P.S. My how time flies! I'm 83 now.

21 Responses to The Reluctant Atheist – for d’Verse

1. Thank you for sharing this piece

2. Jeff says:

Written out of adverse experiences? Faith questioned. A provocative piece. Had me looking inward.

Isn’t sleep heaven sent?

Cheers!

I would love to believe so. I liked your poem, but my comment didn’t survive. I think they’re “de-syncking” me, whatever that means, possibly because I can’t make out how to renew Windows Office or whatever that is.

3. Frank Hubeny says:

May those dreams be peaceful and the madness turn to inspiration. For me sleep is when things start to make sense and sometimes upon awakening they still make sense.

4. I have found that I have to find my solace in this life… and that’s such a relief… not provokative at all for my beliefs.

I’m enthralled by the title here. The Reluctant Atheist. Is that an atheist who really and truly wants to believe….tries to believe….wishes to believe? Here you have a preacher who has turned it in. So one wonders….was there more comfort in the believing or now in the not?
    An intriguing piece.

6. msjadeli says:

That last line is something I believe in. Dreams help with the sorting and filling in missing pieces. I understand a person of conviction would not want to lead anyone astray.

7. ladynyo says:

Beautiful, beautiful. Went straight to my heart, Nan. My experience also.

8. ladynyo says:

I’m 71.5…..and wiser now since I ditched toxic influences….so many and mostly family! I believe in nothing…nothing religious…but I believe we can make our lives “Heaven” or Hell.

But it sure takes a lot of work!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )