Hanging On – for d’Verse

Cleaning out the home office,

soothing the wrinkles from

every dear aging surface once

again, I cannot bid final adieu

to one relic after another on

my cluttered desk top, where

love struggles to reclaim loss.

Rob doused by AIDS, Irma by a

mind sputtered out, Phyllis lost

to winnowing  of the spark.

If not now, when?

This entry was posted in Death and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hanging On – for d’Verse

1. Heartbreaking. What do you mean ‘or Poetry Foundation’? Are you talking to them about your poetry?

2. lynn__ says:

Excellently written, Nan! I especially admire the phrase “soothing the wrinkles from every dear aging surface”. I have a box of obituary/memorial “relics” that I cannot throw away…now.

3. Sallie Carpentier says:

Love this! Love what you have been posting lately!

4. Can you ever clean out those mementos… every little piece has a story.

5. frankhubeny says:

Throwing things away can go to extremes. I remember going through boxes we had not unpacked for ten years after we moved to our current location. They were mostly books. Anything we were sure we weren’t going to use again either went to the recycling bin or to a thrift store. Anything we even had a doubt about we put on shelves we built in the basement. A lot was thrown away and the rest organized. We didn’t throw away any mementos. I liked the last line: “If not now, when?” Our answer was “not now. maybe later” to a lot of things we will never look at again.

Thanks for your response, but I may be a bit closer to “later” than you! : D

7. Bev says:

I think we are the same age, Nan….the age when we lose dear friends one by one, and consider our own mortality (if not now, when?). Your words were poignant and touching. I take each day as a gift, and rejoice in it, as it’s apparent so do you. Hail fellow, well met!

Thanks so much for the greeting. And I find blogging can be so helpful, too.

9. Mish says:

Those relics are so difficult to part with. I have my brothers cowboy boots, such an odd thing to hang on to, but getting rid of them seems wrong to me. Your last line resonates with me.
    Thanks for joining in, Nan. Sorry for this late comment.

And I still have the now ratty bathrobe my deceased sister gave me more than 20 years ago. Our effort to hang on is really touching, and I think it may be psychologically healthy, though perhaps inconvenient, given space requirements! Thanks for the reply. Much better late than never!