Not So Long Ago, Not So Far Away

NOT SO LONG AGO, NOT SO FAR AWAY

Irate, Henry punished his  deaf and dumb boy by shooting his dog.  “Teach him a lesson,” he muttered.

Speechless, the dumb child ran away kicking stones,  absorbing the lesson.  Despite all the kicking the boots held up–zippers still worked, unrusted by rageful tears. And finally the lesson sank in.

Waiting til nightfall when all were asleep, the youth kicked over the lit candle and fled.

For Friday Fictioneers  PHOTO PROMPT submitted by Courtney Wright. © Photographer prefers to remain anonymous.

This entry was posted in A mixed bag and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Not So Long Ago, Not So Far Away

1. Nan, at the bottom of the grid of participants there’s a blue icon saying ‘Add Your Link’. Click on that and you will take you to a form you need to fill in, much like Mr Linky at Dverse. If you’ve loaded an image on your post for this prompt it will automatically load it. Press Done at the end and away you go. Also tick the two boxes about the privacy policy and about your email being visible to the host of Friday Fictioneers, which is Rochelle Wissoff-Fields. If a verification email is sent to your email address, open it and click whatever link will be provided so your link up will be completed. Good luck. Petru.

2. Wow, powerful and heartless piece, well done

3. Varad says:

Henry went a little bit overboard. He got what was coming for him.

4. Iain Kelly says:

The inevitable consequence of teaching and parenting with violence. Great story Nan, well done.

5. bethanyk says:

Oh how tragic! For the child. And yet I want to kick over the lit candle too now. What does that say about me! But cruelty does evoke strong emotions in me. I’ve never in fact hurt a living soul

6. What goes around… nicely done on the prompt!😉

7. lisarey1990 says:

Great story. Very well-written.

8. He expressed his upset the only way he could. Terrific tale.

My FriFic tale is called Jim and Jan!

9. Dear Nan,

Abuse begets anger and rage. I felt for the poor boy as I suspect he’s been punished for much more. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

10. granonine says:

The Bible says we are not to provoke our children to wrath. Lesson learned, too late. Great story, Nan.

11. Wow – that was very powerful – well done.

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

12. Liz Young says:

Henry shouldn’t have been so cruel.

13. Dale says:

And what could the father expect? He is teaching the poor boy that to learn, you must hurt..
    Very well done, Nan.

14. Vivian Zems says:

Violence propagated. Well penned.

15. Wondrously dark twist!

16. Nan Falkner says:

Well, that was a mean and nasty thing to do to the boots. What goes around comes around.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )