Nan’s own re-blog for D’Verse

The World Is Flat After All

Dubbed Democracy, it used to be

top of the line, the lead ship, at sea,

and on the land it served us well,

until the  strains of its death knell

fell,

baring an underbelly swole

with all the pilfered things they stole

in broad daylight, and  on t.v.!

Gone is the half-belief in he

who’ll take us safely to the shore

while staying steadfast to the core.

The compass nestles in the deep

while those on board remain asleep.

They used to say the earth was round,

that right makes might, but I found

that all I knew I now know not,

nor how to tell the truth from rot,

and not so sure that we’ll endure,

to make a safe arrival.

Nan

At 79, I was just about to stop keeping a journal, but that felt like accepting that growth was finished. I don't want to be finished, yet! I'm 80 now, and struggling to communicate with you, if you'll come and set awhile. P.S. My how time flies! I'm 83 now.

16 Responses to Nan’s own re-blog for D’Verse

1. Hi Nan. A lovely poem and it should be shared on Dverse Open Link Night. You won’t get so many visits as you’ll be a day late but still! Hope you saw my email. Best regard, Petru

2. jilldennison says:

Good poem, sad yet realistic. The world is upside down these days, it seems. Perhaps we got bored with democratic freedoms? Perhaps the human species can never be satisfied with the ‘status quo’ for more than a generation or two.

3. rothpoetry says:

Yes we seem to be in a time in which the compass nestles in the deep… Well done!

4. I love the conversational tone in this, and your rhyming is lovely, gives structure but isn’t intrusive. And the message is a sad one. It does feel like everything is rudderless at the moment.

5. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice sound in this line filled with concern: “and not so sure that we’ll endure,”

6. msjadeli says:

Your poem resonates with me, as so much of what I believed in with our country is disintegrating before my eyes. Good poem, Nan.

7. sanaarizvi says:

This is heartwrenchingly beautiful, Nan! ❤️

8. robtkistner says:

This is excellent!. A solid but sad write. Don’t know your work Nan, but well done.

9. Mish says:

Time to wake up and find a new captain for this ship.

10. The metaphor of the ship made me think of the total opposite in the poem “O captain, my captain”…
    Alas our ship is a drift.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )