VIGNETTE for d’Verse

LOOKS DON’T MATTER

She stoops, sags a little and has a mole.

NOR DO THOUGHTS.

Murderous fantasies overwhelm her at times.

BEHAVIOR CAN BE CHANGED.

Old patterns of obsequiousness remain.

SEX ISN’T EVERYTHING.

She was raped, at eleven, by her uncle.

IT IS THE SPIRIT

Alive, under an imperfect breast:

THAT DEFINES

The woman.

This entry was posted in Rape and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to VIGNETTE for d’Verse

1. Bev says:

The story for all too many women, unfortunately. Well written, Nan.

2. frankhubeny says:

I agree that the spirit does the defining.

3. ZQ says:

Sounds like a Hero in the making. Excellent form and very effective.One of my favorites tonight.
    I smiled at your juxtapositions:

“Murderous fantasies overwhelm her at times.
    BEHAVIOR CAN BE CHANGED.
    Old patterns of obsequiousness remain.
    SEX ISN’T EVERYTHING.”

And frowned at the reality and illusion:

“She was raped, at eleven, by her uncle.
    IT IS THE SPIRIT
    Alive, under an imperfect breast:
    THAT DEFINES
    The woman.”

4. I enjoyed the braided concept of this poem. Hard to do.

5. Oh those “words of wisdom” that make matters worse. Pollyanna never knew.

6. Wow, Nan, powerful words! Your poem made the hairs on my neck curl!

7. sanaarizvi says:

There is a special place in hell for those horrible men who rape.

8. Nan, I’d like to actually swear in expressing my admiration for this poem. It hits hard, very hard! As it should. Thanks for posting it!

Liked by 2 people

9. I like this! It’s like a muttered sensible commentary beneath the platitudes.

10. I’m reading it two ways, and I love the truth of these lines, “Alive under an imperfect breast: The woman.”

11. jillys2016 says:

Simply perfect form for this poem!

12. Powerful write here, Nan. The retorts to the headlines unfold into those parts of us that we, as women, know but don’t want to share. They strengthen us after a while. Life is a series of events that either break us or fortify us on our continuing journey. You share that courage with us through this fine write.

13. E says:

Powerful Nan. The contrast is stinging.

Very late to the reading….apologies!
    This is such a powerful write….
    The alternating lines — the voice and the comebacks – so well done. LOVE that in the CAPS it is the spirit that defines us…we can overcome and BE. It is just so very tragic that some have so much more to overcome….they are in truth, the STRONG ones.