I STAND CORRECTED, AFTER 45 YEARS

The following is from  the site Down Syndrome with a Slice of Autism  nickspecialneeds.wordpress.com    Just another WordPress.com site, Nick is 22 years old and has Down syndrome and autism. This is his world, the rest of us are just trying to keep up!  Post signed by Teresa in recognition of Down Syndrome Awareness Month:

Since this is about awareness, it is important to educate people on the appropriate language that should be used. People with Down syndrome should always be referred to as people first.

Do NOT say:

*”A Down syndrome baby or child.”

*”Down’s baby or child”

*”Down’s”

*”He has Downs”

Instead say: “A child with Down syndrome”.  Finally it should be said “Down” and NOT “Down’s.” Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it.

My son Nick is 22 years old, and has Down syndrome and autism.  I’ve heard all of these incorrect phrases over the years. Please help me educate the public on the proper way to refer to a person with Down syndrome.  Thank you for reading and spreading awareness about Down syndrome.  That’s what is in my noggin this week.

~Teresa

9 Responses to I STAND CORRECTED, AFTER 45 YEARS

1. Sallie Carpentier says:

I agree with everything except for the grammar. It is “Down’s Syndrome” as it is “Hodgkin’s Lymphoma”. It is not “Hodgkin Lymphoma”

2. Sallie Carpentier says:

Is it now correct to say “Alzheimer Disease”?

3. Sallie Carpentier says:

I did. I tried not to be all grammar elite..but I did ask her if she says “Alzheimer Disease”. No… I was nice..this is a shift in the community that I have been watching evolve for the past 20 years. It drives me crazy. I will go down fighting it. I can’t see her posts, as I can on yours, so I’m not certain that she received it. @@ (eye rolling).

4. Sallie Carpentier says:

I did. I tried not to be all “grammar elite”…but I did ask her if she says “Alzheimer Disease”. I’ve watched this grammatical destruction grow in the community over the past 20 years. It drives me nuts. I commented, but on her site, you can’t see the comments on her site, so I can’t tell if she received it.

Thanks, Did you say it in a friendly way? We go all out not to step on anyone’s toes. There’s enough of that in the world. But lest readers think I’m too abrupt, I’d better let them know I’m a mother talking to her kind daughter who helps keep my stats up!

What community have you been fighting with for 20 years? You must have it made in the shade if you let anything grammar drive you nuts. From: Mom

I believe you see her posts like you do mine–just visit her site. Let me know if this is not the case.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w