I Am Part Serpent

DID YOU KNOW?

Please don’t think less of me, because

it happened long ago, before I

knew that serpents were inhuman.

Rest assured that I will always

keep my distance  from you

and you will not be hurt by me.

This entry was posted in Damaged goods, Love and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to I Am Part Serpent

1. I hope I interpret this right.

The serpent metaphors of what one is being through in life or what is happening right now with change in climate. Either way, your work always keeps me to think and visuals your work in a different kind of mind set. I love it.

I think whatever a poem means to the reader is the viable one. I think I was more aware of what I had been through in life. I am a survivor and due to the trauma bond that person is now a part of me, and could be thought of as my shadow, which I work to keep in check..

2. kanzensakura says:

I don’t mind snakes at all! I find them interesting.

3. Grace says:

Thanks for telling me Nan ~

4. Striking piece, and slightly shocking. Very beautifully executed! Just one question: what would you think of my (respectful!) suggestion that you delete the word “away” in the penultimate line? It just strikes me as unnatural and redundant, do you agree?

An excellent suggestion, and I shall incorporate it in a week or two so as not to confuse things. The suggestion is one I might have stumbled upon if I had taken more time with it…but it was already Thursday.

5. ladynyo says:

I happen to like serpents. Regardless what is in the bible. Come close, serpent, and twine your diamond-patterned body around me.

6. I do like serpents too, and maybe I have some in me as well.

7. A wonderful piece and endemic to the condition of trauma. As if one carries a latent, dangerous aspect that should be kept in check. I wonder though … to be rude to oneself is part of the situation. You wrote it well though.

8. Alwi Shatry says:

Thanks to serpents, temptations are alive and well. As I am 71 and each year seems to pass me by with greater speed, I can relate absolutely to your sentiments. But no indications of the ravages of age in your writing. Still vibrant and enjoyable.

9. Snakes only harm us if we try to harm them… 🙂

10. I think that may be true of metaphorical snakes as well, Nan. When I think of serpents, I think of dragons, not snakes. They are more mythic, I think, and play a part in my childhood too.

11. The serpent as metaphor is powerful and I believe the shadow is an ally in the long run. Good to have one such as this on your side 😉

12. I am not sure that you have to be part serpent. I used to think I was a black sheep…