Prejudice is the attitude that one group of people is in some way inferior to another.
KINDS OF PREJUDICE INCLUDE:
1. Racism – people of color or ethnicity are treated as inferior
2. Sexism – Gender prejudice…Belief that one sex is inferior
3. Ageism – People too old or too young are treated as inferior
4. Classicism – One economic class is seen as inferior to another
5. Homophobia – Belief that LGBTIs are inferior
6. Nationalism – The belief that citizens of one’s own country are superior to all others
7. Religious prejudice – The only prejudice I found written out contained nothing negative cited.
8. Xenophobia – Fear of foreigners
9. Ableism – Those with physical or mental disorders dismissed as inferior
10. Immigrant, Refugees and Gypsy populations – Seen as inferior since “not from here.” Gypsies are one of the most persecuted minority groups worldwide.
11. Political Identity – The belief that members of one’s own political party are superior to all others
Out of curiosity you may want to check yourself for any problems with this topic. For myself, today, I have most difficulty with political prejudice. For example, I feel disrespect for Republicans, and while I have no conscious prejudice against black women, culture has shaped me to have a deep seated fear of black men due in part to a plethora of years of news stories about their criminal activity. Little did I realize that their aggressiveness was exaggerated by the prejudiced media and police of the time.. So one feeds the other. Fear of the unknown is a factor, also. I’ve known personally several wonderful black women, but no wonderful black men, personally…so far. I realize that the men part of black men may also relate to an underlying fear of all men.
Much of this information is from the far-reaching blog theclassroom.com/the.different-types-of-prejudice-12081909.html which contains The Different Types of Prejudice by Parker Janney.