THE PAST –a haibun

The Past

My Self, anchored in the past at three, inhales the earth’s nectar following the rain. Pure air, receptive soil, the world a vast cocoon of promise.

Unnoticed, earth

Worms float belly up below

Better not to know.

23 Responses to THE PAST –a haibun

1. rothpoetry says:

worms belly up! too much water for them! Great job.

2. Frank Hubeny says:

It is from flooding or poisoning in some way?

3. I can read this several ways–the self drowning like the worms, or, for me, more likely choosing to ignore the ugly in life. What I like about symbolic poems is that there are sometimes more than one way to read them and mine might be totally different from yours. Thanks, Nan.

4. susanmehr says:

Beautiful, I agree ‘better not to know.’ I enjoyed reading this poem, few words say too much.

5. Even worms meet their maker. Yet they are still useful, something will eat them, even drowned, I expect. Not something children ever consider, I grant you 🙂

…unknown….earth worms float belly up. Oh my. The naivety of children……the world awaits them.

7. hypercryptical says:

Yes, metaphorically, we are often (happily) unaware of what is beneath our feet.
    Anna :o]

8. According to the title, I took the worms being found belly-up as a metaphor.

9. The worms floating is a special scene… so many thoughts in that..

10. X says:

I love the smell right after the rain. It is earthy and intoxicating.

The worms are good. They aerate the soil. There is much promise of new life in soil.
    It holds it ready.

I guess none of us are immune to water. We need it to live. Too much and we all go belly up.
    Eventually.

11. You are right–better not to know! This is wonderful, Nan.