WHITHER — for d’Verse

Predators in the underbrush,

thunder from an angry god.

A fire takes away the chill, but

the life span is short and lonely.

Hark!

Are they chanting? Calling out to ancestors?

What sounds echo in their ears,

in this cave that is their home?

What sounds, indeed? I wonder —

do they love their young?

or one another? You know

they live on in us,  in our genes,

our blood, shaping us in ways we

know not.  But hark again! Listen closely.

Their reverberations persist deep

within our inner chambers. If you listen

closely you can hear them,

even now.

Pub. earlier in Time Wrinkles, 2015

This entry was posted in Forebears and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to WHITHER — for d’Verse

1. Bodhirose says:

I think all reverberations live on. They may get a bit more subtle but they’re there if we can tune in. Sounds like you’re still tuning in Nan, at 82. Certainly your thoughts, feelings and writings are as valid as anyone’s no matter what your age. Keep sharing, we can all learn from each other!
    Gayle ~

Many thanks for the encouragement. But did you hear? I made a mistake. I’m only 81–for now.
    : D

3. Ruth Reilly says:

Your poem is a lovely thought Nan, the idea of bringing our ancestors a little closer to us, even the ones we’ve never met. Just ten generations back is over a thousand people! Pretty amazing considering each one came with his and her own amazing story of survival. Even if fortunes got reversed, everyone helped bring us to where we are now, so there’s a lot to be grateful for. Wish I knew all their stories. Thanks, R

4. thotpurge says:

Beautifully haunting.

5. Bev says:

“Echoes of the ancestors ride the winds of change”….a phrase I remember from something I read long ago. Your lovely words called it back to me. Good read!

6. “Echoes of the ancestors ride the winds of change”… sigh … beautifully haunting!

7. I think I hear them too… especially at night… are they calling me back?

8. Grace says:

I am listening closely Nan ~ Can you please contact me at sometimesg@yahoo.com ?

Thanks!

9. scotthastiepoet says:

Terrific Nan, such a resonant piece – I hear it still…

10. frankhubeny says:

I like these words: “You know/they live on in us, in our genes,/our blood, shaping us in ways we/know not.” This describes some conscious reality that influences us today. That is what makes it haunting and less “lonely”. If it were an “it”, some genes or neurons, it would be something to merely overcome. I also like the idea that “our inner chambers” are their “cave”.

11. I missed this post earlier! Well done!

12. Deep inside we all share something…universal. Yes!

13. Bryan Ens says:

Love this glimpse into our ancient ancestors.