Mother Microbe

MOTHER MICROBE

My first mom was a microbe–

it is written in my book;

randomness was all it took.

A virgin birth by golly,

no horny teenage folly.

T’was a sideways injection

and without an erection.

That’s the way microbes did it,

linking up to a tidbit

as it says here in my text:

a daisy chain without sex.*

*Life’s Engines by Falkowski, 2016

This entry was posted in A mixed bag and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Mother Microbe

1. I wasn’t created that way but I was adopted and it feels so strange to be different than those around you! Very well written!

Thanks for the comment…Carol? I follow you and enjoy your work immensely. I see now that I needed clarification on what was in the book, that I was referring to: “”What we do know is that is that the basic structure of the tree of life has helped us understand that all extant life on Earth is derived from a single, extinct microbial organism. But if Earth is derived from a common microbial ancestor, when did that last common ancestor arise?” The eventual answer, after much proof, is about 2.4 billion years ago.
      I think I’ll post this explanation, because my communicatiion was so flawed.

2. Boring to be a microbe, I suppose.

3. Oh I love that you do posts with comments now.. somehow we are all a little bit coming from microbes.

4. Hi Nan. I think Dverse would prefer if we posted our own work? Just so you know. Lovely ditty anyway. 🙂

5. And also, did you see the video of the exercise to keep one’s balance better? It might help for when you go walking along the river again picking up driftwood or other usable debris? It’s at the end of the post. Hope you enjoy it and can use it. 🙂

6. Bryan Ens says:

Nature is amazing in the many different ways that different creators reproduce.

7. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Such a powerful write 🙂

8. Nan, I’m terribly sorry. I’m obviously a lazy reader and didn’t follow the link to see what it is about. Apologies please!!

At that point I hadn’t said more about it on the link. I think I fixed that now, thanks to you!

• It was still my job to read the link. ‘ve Twice in this collaboration on Dverse have I been caught ought for the same reason. In my poem I didn’t provide a link to make my poem more clear!! I’ll clean up my act. 🙂

9. hayesspencer says:

Hi Nan. Thank you posting this but OLN is for posting our own work. Even the prompts are for us to post our own take on the prompt and nit the poem of someone elese unless you use a line ftom a poem or use for inspiration for your own work and that you make note of that.

As I just explained in a post today, I wote the poem. The reference was to the book that asserted we all come from microbes. I’ll communicate a little more clearly next time. I aleady talked to Petru about this, but thanks for trying to educate me. I need all the education I can get!

• hayesspencer says:

Then, well done! I apologize for being dense about this. It is good to discover you wrote this. The title is so very clever and I enjoyed reading, even more so now. I always comment I am a bear of little brains and this proves it.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )