Me and My Shadow for d’Verse

Watch Out! My Shadow’s on the loose

with beaked visage, dressed in puce.

He’s up to no good, I can tell

trailing his embers straight from hell.

Rude, uncouth, he throws a fit,

replacing niceness with a snit.

He gets like that from time to time,

just when my life is too sublime.

They say that I should chat with him–

admit he springs from my own whim.

But what if he enlists me too

and I become a scary shrew?

What’s worse they say that he’s a she–

“if I’m a she then he’s like me!”

No way! I know that it’s a him.

Thinking female would be too grim.

I never thought that this offender

would ever be a transgender!

Oh heck, I’ll claim him for my own,

despite bad seeds that it has sown.

If he is me then I can stay

his acting out this very day!

I’ll say not he or she but we

and end this Shadow fricasee.

I used to think I would be a child prodigy, but then I got old. Formerly I had fantasies of rubbing elbows with cultural and academic leaders but that did not come to pass because I did not become a cultural or academic leader or any other kind of leader, for that matter. I am not even an "Alpha Dog," a term learned from a friend who had to become "Alpha Dog" in order to influence her own pet. (When gazes lock, she never looks away.) For years I expected to become a published author, but in passing I could not avoid the fact that I had little to contribute to the world's bulging dumpsters. I'm embarrassed to report that I also considered my primary process artistic productions powerful, rather than mildly neurotic. Which is not to say that I disrespect myself, only that I am beginning to doubt my potential for making a mark on the world. If I focus on strict self discipline I may be able to keep my garbage removed on a weekly basis, to keep the kitty box changed, the clothes cleaned, the dog watered, fed and walked, but that just catches me up to the starting mark again. When writing I physically grapple with words, wrestling them from their indifference into attempted chunks of awareness. I sit heavily on my chair; I breathe in artificially cooled air; my ear drums note the tap tap of the keyboard and the steady uninterrupted sound of the air conditioner, What is that sound? The roar of the ocean from 30 yards away...Inside, my thoughts are are balls in an electronic game machine, bouncing hither and yon from lever to lever. I am a little grim and intent until I recall a dream related by a black man in the prison where I once worked. He said that when he was a small boy, back home, he dreamed he was standing on his front porch pissing, and that he suddenly found himself pissing stars...
This entry was posted in Shadow and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Me and My Shadow for d’Verse

1. Bev says:

This is delightful. I love your shadow talk.

2. colorfulpen says:

Love the rhythm of this.

3. A humorous take on a difficult topic. Loved it!

4. Bryan Ens says:

Your shadow certainly has a mind of its own! Delightful piece.

5. I think we need to have regular conversations with our shadows, after all we are bond together.

6. frankhubeny says:

I enjoyed the concern about whether the shadow is a he or a she and then settling on we.

7. ladynyo says:

Oh! I love this! Quite the psychological poem. Excellent…and inventive. Shadows are great subjects!!!! And we all have one. Shadow fricassee. Wonderful!

Thanks, Lady! What have you been up to? I’m about to order The Courage to Create…

• ladynyo says:

Excellent, Nan. For many, especially those who don’t gestalt….LOL! Rollo May is not their cookie. However, at a very important time in my life….battling narcissists in my family, and almost giving up to life….I found him and read him….this book is excellent for creativity and all the obstacles , in human behavior and also social fads and issues….and just breaks through the muck. After reading this book, I went on to publish 3 more books, and felt empowered by what I had learned…that courage is deep inside regardless the abuse outside. We tap into that courage at the rawest times if we can understand that our creativity is there to always save us. Powerful lessons from Rollo May. His other book I have…much thicker, “Love and Will” I have just started…..that is another heavy tome.

I may have replied in the wrong order…or not. Anyhoo, hanks (you may get 2 replies),

8. Playful and smart verse and rhyme, Nan! I love the lot of this. A lot!

9. Grace says:

I love the imaginative talk with shadows Nan ~ It was confusing, but then inside us, I bet we hear so many voices ~

10. hypercryptical says:

I have a shadow too and I guess I’ve made him ‘male’ although know he is me. He takes care of the bad parts of me, the bit of me with still a toe dipping in the primordial soup. I think he exists in all of us and reminds us of who we were and still are, although the latter to a small degree (I hope).
    Anna :o]

11. Lovely rhythmic flow here!

12. Ha, ha. Very enjoyable, Nan. 😀 — Suzanne

13. -Eugenia says:

I love the rhythmic flow. A unique and outstanding piece!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )