My granddaughter graduated from high school this June and then worked several weeks as a counselor at a camp in the North Carolina mountains. She was tending to a calf when a black snake stuck its head up out of the straw. Seeing it was not a dangerous snake, she immediately grabbed it but got it too close to the tail and it came back at her. Then she grabbed it again closer to the head, but not close enough. Finally she got it by the neck and in the process had received only two non-venomous bites, which she said didn’t hurt. The captured snake was kept awhile–at least until she sadly said goodbye to the camp. We have photos to remember her bravery. You can see one of the bite marks on her arm.