When I Run into My Father for d’Verse by an incest survivor

When I run into my

father in heaven,

What would I do?

What should I do?

I hope he’s in heaven.

I hope I am too.

This entry was posted in Incest and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to When I Run into My Father for d’Verse by an incest survivor

1. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the would/should line pairs and the paired hope for both you and your father. Short and simple is often powerful. Nice poem.

2. Intimidating thought nicely expressed!

3. maria says:

Oh, from an incest survivor’s POV? Hmm.. now this added more depth to this poem.

4. kim881 says:

Oh Nan, your poem is like a little beating heart of a prayer and conveys the ambiguous feelings an incest survivor must have towards a father..

5. rosross says:

I think the message was clear. Nicely done.

6. Oh, Nan. What a simple little poem, and then what a powerful punch when you appreciate the context. I’m not sure I believe in heaven, but if there is one, I am sure you will be there, and whatever you do will be the right thing to do.

7. This is so poignant Nan. Perhaps forgiveness has finally happened?

Thanks, the poem just popped out.

9. I guess it is a tribute to genuine forgiveness that one would wish for him to be in heaven too. Much love. XX

10. jerennazuto says:

This is a punch. Quick and powerful. I can spin it on the color of revenge, because it seems obvious to me. But as I can see in the comments, it’s about forgiving, which is pretty admirable too. Either way, a great short poem.

Thanks so much. …And could you explain a little more about the color of revenge? Thanks for responding.

• jerennazuto says:

Yes, it’s my pleasure. My initial understanding was that the victim didn’t have a chance to encounter her villain when she realized how she has been victimized. So it’s a threat like ‘I hope you are there too because I can’t wait to make you suffer the way you made me.’ A bit extreme perhaps?

I guess I’m hoping they behave better than that in heaven! I think suffering is either on Earth or in the other place… Thanks for re-responding! (Actually I really fear heaven is only a pipe dream.., but a nice metaphor.) My options would probably be to speak or not to speak.