Aww…Missed Thursday Limericks! d’Verse

There once was a lady named Myrtle

whose body was shaped like a turtle

But no one knew

Except the few

Who helped her into her girdle.

I used to think I would be a child prodigy, but then I got old. Formerly I had fantasies of rubbing elbows with cultural and academic leaders but that did not come to pass because I did not become a cultural or academic leader or any other kind of leader, for that matter. I am not even an "Alpha Dog," a term learned from a friend who had to become "Alpha Dog" in order to influence her own pet. (When gazes lock, she never looks away.) For years I expected to become a published author, but in passing I could not avoid the fact that I had little to contribute to the world's bulging dumpsters. I'm embarrassed to report that I also considered my primary process artistic productions powerful, rather than mildly neurotic. Which is not to say that I disrespect myself, only that I am beginning to doubt my potential for making a mark on the world. If I focus on strict self discipline I may be able to keep my garbage removed on a weekly basis, to keep the kitty box changed, the clothes cleaned, the dog watered, fed and walked, but that just catches me up to the starting mark again. When writing I physically grapple with words, wrestling them from their indifference into attempted chunks of awareness. I sit heavily on my chair; I breathe in artificially cooled air; my ear drums note the tap tap of the keyboard and the steady uninterrupted sound of the air conditioner, What is that sound? The roar of the ocean from 30 yards away...Inside, my thoughts are are balls in an electronic game machine, bouncing hither and yon from lever to lever. I am a little grim and intent until I recall a dream related by a black man in the prison where I once worked. He said that when he was a small boy, back home, he dreamed he was standing on his front porch pissing, and that he suddenly found himself pissing stars...
This entry was posted in Limerick and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Aww…Missed Thursday Limericks! d’Verse

1. frankhubeny says:

Very nice! The sound is delightful, just what the listener expects, and the punch line is entertaining.

2. I can just imagine a turtle with a girdle… 🙂

Me too, when I look in the mirror!

• Oliana says:

Me too! Trying to get onto the bridge Friday night from 6 lanes of traffic squeezing onto one lane made me think of squeezing into a “too small” girdle 🙂

Frusrating, I know! For me it’s losing track of days on he calendar and trying to run to catch up. Obviously those occasions do not produce my finest poems!

• Oliana says:

You write beautifully…I hope my writing improves so I could write a book some day.

That is one reply I cannot accept.

• Oliana says:

Maybe when I retire I will have more time but I get bored of hearing my voice when I write more than 10 pages. In the meantime, I am considering compiling “micro stories” and haibuns I have from my other blog and another just of haiku. I want to give something to my kids.

You mean the mental voice in your head. Or do you dictate your words? I retired in 1999 and spent years doing family genealogy which was fun, but left me with a ton of pooey on my hands which I’m trying to discard before my kids get it on them! Thanks fo talking.

• Oliana says:

My mental voice…yes, if we sort our “stuff” our kids may be saved from this “stuff”.

How sad, how sad, how sad! One of the things I wish I had taught my kids is empathy. Teaching them empathy and practicing it more with them would sure have helped. Not that they’re a disappointment, but not all their edges are smooth. Of course all mine aren’t, either.

• Oliana says:

Nah I’m perfect!!;-). Ooops that may be Dad’s narcissism slipping out.

If it slips out far enough maybe you can clip it off. Just kinda joking, tho I know it’s no laughing matter.

• Oliana says:

I just had a discussion with my clinical supervisor about your book and what I have learned, that can help me be more helpful and patient with youths who reach out. I think your book is also allowing me to remember some things that worried/scared me I had forgotten. This awareness is key to be “there” for our youths.

How gratifying your reply was! You are the first blogger who’s got my book! I’m a little curious about which part was most helpful.

Nan

• Oliana says:

I’ve only read 25% of it…like I said it is a slow read. I’ll email you what I have found helpful in my counselling and on a personal level.

No rush. Just curious.

3. Bev says:

Perfect limerick cadence, with fun-filled twist. I love it!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )