Videotaping Bi-Polar Speaker

Thursday night I videotaped a female Bipolar survivor speaking on her experience with the disorder, for public access.  It was a NAMI presentation, at the public library, and I heard again good things about the new treatment aid for Borderline Personality, PTSD, Bi-Polar Disorder, Depression, and stressed folks without a disorder.  Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) was developed after my stint in graduate school and in fact after I retired! Curious, I finally purchased a second-hand copy in excellent condition via Amazon, and for ten dollars have the skilled workbook for my own use. (Total bill was $10-something). Now I know what everybody has been talking about!  Instead of my measly list of suggestions for self-soothing in my blog last  Monday, I have at my fingertips a list of  more than 100 self-soothers!  There are only two I would take umbrage with: 1. watch television [not today!] 2. Call a family member you haven’t spoken to in a long time [not if you’e a survivor of incest].

Anyway, now I know what it’s all about and I’m starting my first lesson!

BTW, it’s called The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook, by McKay,  Wood, and Brantley, 2007.

This entry was posted in Self-Soothers and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Videotaping Bi-Polar Speaker

1. lynn__ says:

I belong to a local NAMI support group…can you share the video tape?

I’m acting on your suggestion, just waiting for my boss to come to work on Tuesday. It may be too long for post readers to have patience with it, but access has its own playable past programs. Good idea, but the site is new and I don’t know its link. In fact, access may be able to group a number of one-hour speakers together on survivors of depression, PTSD, post-partum depression, borderline personality, etc. No one talking about incest, however.

• lynn__ says:

Thanks …our group is always looking for educational presentations for our monthly meetings.

Response from Matt Green, CEO of public access in Athens, Ohio to me:
        To make it easier I created a playlist of the past NAMI videos so they can all be in one place. Here is a link to them

The new one should be added to it tomorrow…it’s uploading now.
        __________________________________________
        Nan says to lynn: He didn’t pick the ones I would have, but number 8 (MPD) and 7 (BPD) and the black mother on depression were best of this batch, I think–haven’t recently reviewed the latest one on Bi-Polar, tho it’s possible the intro from Tom Walker won’t be of interest (it’s local NAMI business), I do think that one is probably good, too, however.

• lynn__ says:

Great…I’ll check out the YouTube site. Thanks, Nan!

You’re welcome. I’ll still try and get ahold of some more of the better ones.