Many are saying the N.Y. Times op ed anonymous author should stand up like a man, resign, and tell all. That sounds moral, upstanding, even patriotic. But can we not put ourselves in his place without preaching about him?
- If he resigns and tells all, who will be left minding the self destructive baby in the lengthy meantime?
- He’s trapped by survival concerns for himself, me, you and America.
- He’s sending SOS signals from a sinking ship, taking on his shoulders the lonely and dangerous task of asking for help without extinguishing the source of the SOS.
- He must be discouraged that his courageous end-of-the-rope ploy is criticized, not heeded, and certainly not processed at its level of desperation.
- Do we really want access to the button to global annihilation so tempting in a tantrum>?